Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Unsearchable

"Every day I will bless You, and I will praise Your name forever and ever. Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is UNSEARCHABLE."
~Psalm 145:2-3~

Back on June 1st I read this verse in a devotional book....and the word "unsearchable" stood out. In this day of computer technology it would appear that nothing is "unsearchable". Truly, there is nothing that we cannot find out in a matter of seconds at the tips of our fingers on our computer or phone screens.

Do you need to know if there really is a place called Timbuktu? Google it. In less than 20 seconds you will have over 2 million possible sites where you can discover all you needed to know about Timbuktu - and much more. You'll learn that not only is "Timbuktu" a city in western Africa, but it is also a board game, and the name of a Maryland seafood restaurant.

Do you have physical symptoms and want to know what medical condition you may have? Google the symptoms, or simply go do a search on WebMD. Who needs the doctor? We have the internet, we can search this ourselves. And once we know what we have, we can enter a new search for how to treat it and make ourselves well and comfortable once again.

Honestly, is there anything that we cannot find out by searching on the internet? Whenever I don't know something - I go do a search. What power. What a tool. What knowledge we as a human race possess!

Yet, there is at least one thing that we cannot ever gain the answer to.....something that even Google...perhaps we could say 'especially not' Google, or Yahoo, or Wikipedia, or anything else!... will not ever fully comprehend or express, and that unsearchable thing is: How Great God Is!

The verse above states it very well..."his greatness is unsearchable"; and as another translation puts it "His greatness no one can fathom."

The first few verses of Psalm 139 say it this way:
"O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord.
You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain."

Even, though we will not ever be fully able to grasp or describe the greatness of God, the best place to even begin to get a gain an understanding of His greatness is to do the search by opening up the Bible, and learning more about Him.
Jeremiah 29:13 says, "You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart."

And then to take the next step of applying the power he offers us into our daily lives. That also allows us to have a window into HOW GREAT he is, despite our human weaknesses and frailties.
As 2 Corinthians 12:9 states, "He has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me."

Romans 11:33 "Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How UNESARCHABLE are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!"

No comments:

Post a Comment